Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Kodakan

I had 2 cameras stolen in 2007: my Olympus FE100 digicam and my OM2n. Long story. I loved the super-macro function of the relatively low-tech 4 megapixel FE100 which was a bit quirky at times -- the software sometimes focused on the wrong thing -- but when it's on, it's on. I had lots of plans for the OM2n: buying it a new flash, a wide-angle lens, and a 135 mm lens but that's over now. I hope it found a new owner who knows how to use it.

What I have left are my Olympus XA2 which is in its final stages of usefulness since its shutter is starting to go, and a previously owned Canon IXY 450 4 megapixel digital camera. Four megapixels is more than enough for decent photos. According to professional photographer Ken Rockwell, a 3 MP camera pretty much looks the same as a 6 MP camera, even when blown up to 12 x 18. All those megapixels camera companies are dumping onto their cameras are just a ploy to make the average consumer think that theyre getting a better camera, and so charge them more. For the average photographer who won't plan on getting prints larger than A4 size, 4 megapixels is plenty. More isnt better.

Here are a few pictures I took with my clunkers. Happy New Year.


No comments: